During the summer and the holiday's, my dad would buy TWO Pecan Pies from a place called Delicious Orchards in NJ. One pie was to serve with dinner and the other was for my sister, brother, mom and I to stand by the counter and eat it out of the box with forks. W would then all complain of a stomach ache but still manage to eat a slice after dinner too. This recipe takes out the overload of sugar and butter but stills leave the distinct Pecan Pie taste.
- For the crust:
- 1 ½ cups (GF or Regular) whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup organic butter, melted
- 2 tbsp organic almond milk
- For the filling:
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup organic pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon organic butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a pie pan mix together flour, salt, butter, and milk to make the crust. If the crust seems crumbly i add another 1/2 tbs of milk until right texture.
- Smush the crust into a thin layer in the pie pan. Make sure there are no hole!
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, syrup, butter, vanilla, and salt. Mix in the nuts.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake until pie is set, 25 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.