What is better than walking down the street in Israel eating a Chicken Shwarma pits?? Nothing. Have to recreate the tastes at home with this recipe. Take a picture and tag me on Facebook. So yummy!
- 2 pounds chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 red onion
- 1. Mix the spices, olive oil, lemon and garlic together in a bowl and then add the chicken thighs and mix really well. Let marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- 2. Preheat the oven to 425°. Add a red onion cut into quarters to the container of chicken thighs, toss, and then place in a pan. Cook the chicken thighs for 50 minutes.
- 3. When done cooking, the chicken should be crisp and brown on the outside. To further crisp it sauté it in a medium size pan with 2 tablespoons oil. Remove the chicken thighs from the oven and slice the meat into strips.
- 4. Serve the shawarma in a pita with veggies. I like to add hummus, tomato, and cucumber.