- 4 boneless salmon fillets, about 6 ounces each
- 1 small red onion (or shallot), thinly sliced
- 3-4 thin strips of lemon zest
- Fresh herbs of your choice (I used basil)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Any combination of fresh vegetables (see suggestions below)
Some Vegetables, Herbs and Flavors I Like
- Halved cherry tomatoes and thin green beans (haricot verts)
- Fresh spinach and razor thin slices of garlic
- Sugar snap peas (replace olive oil with butter for this one – oh my!)
- Snow peas and edamame, replace lemon juice with sake and soy sauce, replace h alf olive oil with sesame oil
- Sliced zucchini and fresh dill
- Preheat over to 400 F. Prepare parchment bag or cut 4 large sheets of parchment (about 12′′x 16′′ inches). Fold each sheet in half, and fold into package.
- Divide vegetables equally among the parchment sheets, arranging a “bed” on one half of each sheet.
- Lay one salmon on top of each bed. Season with salt and pepper. Place a few slices of red onion, lemon zest strips, and sprigs of herbs on top. Sprinkle with lemon juice and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Fold parchment then seal with small folds along the open edge. Tuck the end under.
- Bake about 10 minutes to get to medium rare. For medium, 1-2 minutes longer.
- Unwrap, or cut through the top of the pouch, and serve.