- Serves: 2
- Category: Breakfast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 anchovy fillet, finely chopped (optional)
- ½ can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes in juice
- 4 large eggs
- Fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Crusty bread, for serving (optional)
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, garlic, red-pepper flakes, and anchovy, if desired; cook, stirring often, until onion softens, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Break up tomatoes with kitchen shears or your hands; add to skillet along with their juice.
- Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes soften and liquid is reduced, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a bare simmer. Break one egg at a time into a small cup, then gently slide it onto sauce in skillet; cover and cook until whites are just set, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let sit, covered, 5 minutes. If desired, garnish with chopped parsley and serve with bread.