Sunday is family day in our home. We try to do something active or educational and fun every week. This week we went to Oldwick Orchard for apple picking. I was happy to find that they also had vegetables. We picked apples, tomatoes, peppers and broccoli. Have you ever picked broccoli? I had not, and it was fun. Jack and I searched all the rows till we found those round mounds of goodness peeking out of the huge green leaves.
We picked a lot of tomatoes, way to many in fact. They were so beautifully round and colorful. I had to develop a recipe to use a massive amount, and the “Chicken thighs with too many tomatoes sauce” recipe was born.
- 12 skinless organic chicken thighs
- 3 cups of fresh chopped tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon 21 Salute Seasoning –Trader Joe’s
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Place chicken in the crockpot.
- In a bowl combine remaining ingredients, stir well.
- Pour sauce over chicken and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. Serve over rice or sautéed spinach with a salad.
- If you don’t have fresh tomatoes use 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes.
- If you use fresh tomatoes and want a smooth sauce, remove chicken and blend tomatoes with an immersion blender or transfer to blender.
Enjoy and take a picture and post on this thread!