- Prep Time: 25m
- Serves: 4
- Category: Breakfast
- 8 slices (1 inch thick) Italian bread
- Cooked bacon, for serving (optional)
- Pure maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- Tropical Fruit Salad, for serving (optional; see recipe )
- Using a paring knife, cut a horizontal slit in each bread slice to form a pocket. Stir together jam and cream cheese. Spoon 1 tablespoon mixture into each pocket.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and cinnamon until combined.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-low heat. Working in batches of two, lay bread slices in egg mixture, letting them soak 5 seconds on each side.
- Lift slices, letting excess drip back into bowl, and place in skillet; cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat, adding remaining tablespoon butter to skillet. Serve immediately with syrup, bacon, and fruit salad, as desired.