- Serves: 2
- Category: Breakfast
- 4 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Hot-pepper sauce, such as Tabasco, or shredded cheese, for serving (optional)
- Cut a hole in each bread slice using a cookie cutter or the rim of a small glass.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium.
- Add 2 bread slices (and the cut-out rounds, if desired; cook until toasted on each side).
- Crack an egg into each bread hole. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until the eggs begin to set, 2 to 3 minutes; gently flip the egg and bread with a spatula. Continue cooking until eggs are set, 2 to 3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate.
- Repeat with remaining oil, bread, and eggs. Sprinkle with hot-pepper sauce or shredded cheese, if desired.